Seeking legal help from CAIR-Texas Legal Department
Our legal departmetn is divided into two areas of focus and work.
- Civil Rights: works to protect and extend the civil liberties guaranteed primarily by the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution. We take requests for legal help for civil rights matters.
- File a Civil Rights Complaint: https://www.cairtxcn.org/civil-rights/file-a-report
- Immigrants Rights: Sorry, we are not accepting any immigration cases for now.
We can only take a limited number of cases, and with regret must turn down some requests even when serious injustice has occurred.
Generally, our Civil Rights Department represent individuals who have experienced religious discrimination or been targeted because of their religion. We also support other groups’ litigation with Amicus Curiae briefs to educate courts on these issues.
Types of cases we consider for individual representation:
- Freedom of Religion: The right to be free from government interference with your decision to practice any religion, or no religion at all. We also work to limit government-sponsored religious activity.
- Equal protection: The right to be free from illegal discrimination by the government or a private employer. For example, a government agency refuses to hire a Muslim woman.
- Due Process: The right to a fair procedure to challenge the government inclusion on a watchlist.
- Freedom from Government Misconduct: For example. government agents may target individuals or refuse to assist individuals because of their religion. If any government agent (police, FBI, etc) wants to question you, please contact us for assistance.
- Freedom of Speech: For example, a dean suspends a student for writing an article that endorses Islam.
- Victims of hate crimes
If you think your request falls within the parameters above, please file a complaint with our office. The information that you submit will treated as confidential by the Legal Department.